Wednesday 31 August 2011

One Down, Two to Go

I'm saying that tongue in cheek. We sent the Queenager off to college last week and it's still a bit raw. The Ball & Chain drove her from Chicago to DC on the Thursday, - 12 hours almost straight. She was not a happy bunny. The plan was for me and the boys to fly there on Saturday to help settle her in and say a final goodbye, but hurricane Irene did a bit of a number on our plans.

To say we were disappointed is an understatement.

Anyway, I tried to be stoic about it; after all the flight was cancelled and if I'd even wanted to drive, we wouldn't have arrived in time. It was totally out of my control. I went with the flow.

She was with her dad and the college locked all the students into their dorms on the Saturday night till the worst of it was over. DC fared very well given what other places have suffered, but the college Starbucks is now sporting a large tree in the doorway, and the Queenager had to relearn her walking directions from dorm to classroom and back. (The fact that it's all within a few blocks didn't help her - she needs to know exactly where she's going otherwise she tends to end up in the next state.)

Her head is still in the Expat household as she's texting and calling quite a lot, but I know that will all change probably in the next week or so. I'm grateful that I'm not one of those mothers who's currently now panicking because it's been almost a week and no texts. Nothing. Zip. Nada.

However, it would have been more meaningful if the first ever text hadn't been -

"Beyonce's PREGNANT!"

Sigh.


6 comments:

  1. Bless her! Getting her priorities right then?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you for "going with the flow." I would have been a wreck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The best way to find your way around is to get lost...for a while. She'll remember the next time not to go that way. You should expect that she'll have her act together soon. I do think two weeks ,not one. Hang in there! She is your 'dry run' for the next two...then you won't be lost . Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. At least she is sharing stuff with you! that is a good thing...and she will settle into college soon and you will settle into her being at college.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep with the brave front! It won't help her if you collapse, and I'm sure you're right and she'll settle down soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it "first ever text' will soon be up there with a baby's first word.

    Oh and same here, 5 to 7pm finds me in the kitchen with the windows steamed up and on the verge of hot flushes.

    ReplyDelete