Wednesday 25 November 2009

Man Child Damage

When you have a large male teen in the house, there’s a lot of collateral damage. Mine grew over 6 inches in as many months this year and still isn’t quite used to his new size, or weight. His centre/center of gravity has shifted so much I’m constantly amazed that he can walk in a straight line. Sometimes it seems to amaze him too.

Our house is proof that he’s still on quite a steep learning curve. For example, we have stairs that curve at the bottom and the top, which tends to make people swing on the banister as they mount them. Tonight he did that and pulled the whole thing out of the wall.

Yesterday he was looking for something in a cupboard underneath the basement stairs. The doors are cut into the wall and you have to stoop to see what’s in there. When the man-child stoops and leans on them, they have a tendency to come off their hinges. Sigh. He also slammed the upright freezer door so hard that it bounced open a little bit – and stayed that way all night. We now have a lot of food to eat before it goes off. Sigh.

He showers every morning, and about twice a week pulls the curtain back so roughly that the whole spring-loaded curtain rod comes down. Fortunately he is now adept at putting it back together as if nothing had ever happened. Except he usually manages to stand on the hem of the plastic curtain, which is now ripped in several places.

I drive a minivan/people carrier with sliding doors on the side. One side is automatic and doesn’t need the human touch to close it. The other side needs a firm hand, but not a full on body launch. Last week, he closed it with such force that it now takes about three attempts to get it to shut properly. Another sigh.

And that’s just a week with him. The saddest thing is that my husband is the world’s worst at repairing things. Sigh!



Expat Mum

13 comments:

  1. oooo- feeling for you. How frustrating. Hope he doesn't break anything more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to laugh - because I soooo know what you are talking about - we have the same type of beast, er, I mean boy in our house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, too funny, but I see the problem! Reminds me of the movie years back with the "bigfoot", where he couldn't help but break the chairs or floor when they told him to sit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When he grows into his body he'll be co-ordinated, rather like a puppy that grows into his paws.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a 12 year old and am fascinated to see how he will grow and change over the next few years. I'll make sure we reinforce the floorboards and moveable objects!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Commiserations. I know its no consolation but there are a few houses around like yours.
    Handprints on the wall have also got higher over the years and are now made where no one else can reach - so denial is a waste of time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You'll have to send him off on a DIY course so he can repair the damages. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel for you. I do. My third son is 18, and after all that there's not a decent stick of furniture in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Arrgh! I also have a 6 year old who's the size of a ten year old. No hope really!

    ReplyDelete
  10. But think if you'd never had kids! Wouldn't life be boring. Have only just cottoned on you have two blogs. Thought you were two people. How pathetic am I!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not pathetic at all Ken! I must pop over more often. Since Billy petered out I don't see you on the same blogs these days. In fact......

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, I concur - I have a kitchen door that no longer closes properly and in fact the door-frame no longer fits to the wall - You reminded me - I need to book a joiner in the New Year!

    The Man-Child also has a body sized hole in his bed-frame, my husband's favourite beer-glasses were clanged together (tunefully) like a pair of bells, so were consigned to the glass recycling bin, and I am terrified to allow him to drive my car now he's passed his licence! A wonderful tale, ma'am x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just discovered your blog and have had to splint my sides because they are sore from laughing ( please forgive me ). Having survived my testosterone trio ( my three sons are now 38, 27 and 25 ). The two youngest tower over their older brother...at 6'4", they both enjoy paying him back for his being the BIGGER brother for years. Even now, when they are all together, I fear for my china and crystal and am always admonishing them to
    "go play outside."

    ReplyDelete